Tiarks, John Gerhard

TIARKS, John Gerhard (1867-1901) was born in England on 12 March 1867 and served an apprenticeship with Howe, Price & Wooler in Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset, Engl. He demonstrated a marked ability for drawing early in his career and saw some of his measured drawings for churches published in The Builder, the leading architectural journal of England in the 19th century (Builder, liii, 1 Oct. 1887, 458, 460, illus.). He emigrated to Canada in 1888 and settled at Victoria where he became sought after for his domestic designs which he frequently executed as speculative ventures after buying the land, supervising construction of houses to his own design, and then selling to other buyers. He had 'great experience in designs for villas of the better class and residences of country gentlemen and in all the detail of church design' (Williams British Columbia Directory, 1892, 1190). His skill at handling more complex buildings programs is in doubt, however; in 1892 he was one of sixty-five entrants in the competition for the B.C. Legislative Buildings, but his submission, signed 'Floreat Victoria: Convenience with Economy' failed to impress the jury, and he was not one of the five finalists (M. Segger, The British Columbia Parliament Buildings, 1979, 83).
He was elected to the Aldermanic Board of Victoria in 1896 and had a sustained interest in municipal affairs. Tiarks died in Victoria on 21 August 1901 at the age of thirty-four from injuries suffered in a bicycling accident (obituary Daily Colonist [Victoria], 21 Aug. 1901, 2; Victoria Daily Times, 21 Aug. 1901, 5; biog. and list of works Daily Colonist, 5 April 1896, 10; D. Luxton, Building the West: The Early Architects of British Columbia, 2003, 168-70, 520). His portrait can be found in C.A.B., vii, Oct. 1894

RESIDENCES

(works in Victoria unless noted)

GORGE ROAD, residence for the architect, 1890 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 1 Jan. 1890, 7)
BOYD STREET, at Luxton Avenue, residence for an unidentified client, 1891 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 13 Sept. 1891, 6, t.c.)
SYLVIA STREET, near Boyd Street, for Thomas Corsan, 1891 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 13 Sept. 1891, 6, t.c.)
HERALD STREET, for Thomas W. Carter, c. 1891 (Williams British Columbia Directory, 1892, 1190)
ERIE STREET, for Frank W. Vincent, 1892 (C.R., iii, 24 July 1892, 2)
ESQUIMALT, for John Brydon, M.P.P., Head Street, 1894 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 18 March 1894, 3, descrip.; C.A.B., xii, April 1899, illus.)
BLANSHARD STREET, at Kane Street, for Dr. Ernest B. Hanington, 1894 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 18 March 1894, 3, descrip.; Victoria Daily Times, 14 July 1894, 5, descrip. of furniture)
KOKSILAH, B.C., additions to residence for Andreas Keating, 1894 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 18 March 1894, 3, descrip.)
FORT STREET, for Dr. John A. Duncan, 1894 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 9 Nov. 1894, 7, descrip.)
ESQUIMALT ROAD, 'Clovelly', for A.J. Weaver Bridgman, 1894 (Victoria Daily Times, 6 Aug. 1894, 1; Daily Colonist [Victoria], 9 Nov. 1894, 7, descrip.)
LAMPSON STREET, near Fernhill Road, Esquimalt, for R.L. Ker, 1894 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 9 Nov. 1894, 7, descrip.)
METCHOSIN ROAD, Esquimalt, for Capt. A.E. McCallum, 1896 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 5 April 1896, 10)
MOSS STREET, 'Highwood', for George Gillespie, 1896 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 5 April 1896, 10)
GORGE ROAD, 'The Gables', for H.B.W. Aikman, 1896 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 5 April 1896, 10)
ESQUIMALT ROAD, for H.O. Price, 1896 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 5 April 1896, 10)
SUPERIOR STREET, for Capt. D. Morrison, 1896 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 5 April 1896, 10)
DALLAS ROAD, for F.M. Yorke, 1896 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 5 April 1896, 10)
OAK BAY, for Sir Charles H. Tupper, York Place, 1898 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 28 Dec. 1897, 6, descrip.; S. Stark, Oak Bay's Heritage Buildings, 1986, 38-9, illus.)
OAK BAY, for Hon. Fred Peters, Oak Bay Road, 1898 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 28 Dec. 1897, 6, descrip.)
ROCKLAND AVENUE, for Hon. Edgar Dewdney, 1898 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 28 Dec. 1897, 6)
NORTH SAANICH, B.C., for W.G. Le Pouer-Trench, 1898 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 28 Dec. 1897, 6)
ESQUIMALT ROAD, at Head Street, for Roderick MacKenzie, 1898 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 8 June 1898, 5)
ESQUIMALT, residence for the architect, Lampson Street, 1898 (M. Segger & D. Franklin, Exploring Victoria's Architecture, 1996, 159, illus.)
OAK BAY, for Arthur E. Haynes, Beach Drive, 1898-99 (S. Stark, Oak Bay's Heritage Buildings, 1986, 28, illus.)
OAK BAY, for Herbert F. Hewett, Beach Drive, 1899; house relocated to Salt Spring Island in 1992 (S. Stark, Oak Bay's Heritage Buildings, 1986, 30, illus.)
COOK STREET, at Bellot Street, for F.J. Patton, 1899 (C.R., x, 26 July 1899, 3)
OAK BAY, for Conrad Schwengers, Mount Baker Avenue, 1900 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 1 July 1900, 5; S. Stark, Oak Bay's Heritage Buildings, 1986, 35, illus.)

OTHER WORKS (in Victoria, B.C. unless noted)

WARD SCHOOLS, for the North Ward, South Ward and Central School, additions, 1891 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 13 Sept. 1891, 6, t.c.)
PIERRE BLOCK, store for John T. Pierre, Douglas Street, c. 1891 (Williams British Columbia Directory, 1892, 1190)
NANAIMO, B.C., large residence for Alex Shaw, Fraser Street, 1891 (Nanaimo Free Press, 16 March 1891, 1)
CEDAR DISTRICT, B.C., St. Philip's Anglican Church, 1891 (Nanaimo Free Press, 20 Oct. 1891, 4, descrip.)
VICTORIA DAILY TIMES BUILDING, Broad Street, 1894 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 9 Nov. 1894, 7)
(with F.M. Rattenbury) NEW WESTMINSTER, B.C., Bank of British Columbia, Columbia Street at Mary Street, 1898-99 (C.R., ix, 5 Oct. 1898, 2; Daily Colonist [Victoria], 22 Oct. 1898, 5, descrip.; Daily Columbian [New Westminster], 2 Nov. 1899, 4, descrip.)
(with F.M. Rattenbury) NEW WESTMINSTER, B.C., Bank of Montreal, Columbia Street at Church Street, 1898-99 (C.R., ix, 7 Dec. 1898, 3; C.A.B., xii, Jan. 1899, 5; J.D. Scott, Heritage of New Westminster, 1985, 15, illus.)
GOVERNMENT STREET, a new commercial block "....to replace the Heathorn Block, recently burned", 1899 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 12 Feb. 1899, 5, t.c.)
NEW WESTMINSTER, B.C., Caledonia Hotel, Columbia Street, 1899 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 12 Feb. 1899, 5; C.R., x, 5 July 1899, 2) KAMLOOPS, B.C., a 4 storey brick block for C.W. Ward, 1899 (Vancouver Daily World, 8 June 1899, 8)
B. WILLIAMS & CO., Yates Street, commercial block, 1899 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 19 Sept. 1899, 5; C.R., xi, 31 Jan. 1900, 4)
KAMLOOPS, B.C., Cecil Hotel, 1899-1900 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 10 Dec. 1899, 5; C.R., x, 13 Dec. 1899, 2)
VERNON, B.C., Gaol, 1899 (B.C., Sessional Papers, 1900, Public Accounts, 113)