Cullin, Lt. Col. Harold Joseph Rous

CULLIN, Lt. Col. Harold Joseph Rous (1875-1935) was born in Liverpool, Engl. on 5 December 1875, son of Canon Rous Cullin of Canterbury. He studied at the Sidney Cooper School of Art in Canterbury in 1891-93 and trained with W. Stone in London in 1894-95. During the Boer War he worked in construction in the Orange Free State and in the Cape Colony, South Africa and emigrated to Canada in May 1905. After arriving in Victoria, B.C. he accepted a position as draftsman in the office of Samuel Maclure, and then practiced under his own name from 1909 until August 1914 when he joined Canadian Expeditionary Forces and served in Europe during WWI. He was discharged due to ill health in 1917 and after returning to British Columbia in 1918 he moved to Kelowna where he was engaged in architectural work for the Dept. of Public Works and for the Dept. of Lands. Cullin later practiced there but moved to Victoria after 1930 and retired from the profession in 1932. He died in Victoria on 12 August 1935 (obit. Daily Times [Victoria], 13 Aug. 1935, 1; Daily Colonist [Victoria], 14 Aug. 1935, 3; D. Luxton, Building The West: The Early Architects of British Columbia, 2003, 280-81, 496; inf. Architectural Inst. of British Columbia).

(works in Victoria unless noted)

LINDEN AVENUE, 'Hume Cottage', a residence for Thomas Shaw, 1907 (Victoria Heritage Foundation, This Old House: Victoria's Heritage Neighbourhoods, Vol. 4, 2009, 89-90, illus. & descrip.)
(with F.M. Rattenbury) OAK BAY SCHOOL HOUSE, Oak Bay Avenue, 1908 (C.R., xxii, 5 Aug. 1908, 24)
NANAIMO, B.C., residence for Herbert Skinner, Chapel Street, ",,,opposite the residence of Dr. Herbert Mason", 1908 (Nanaimo Free Press, 2 March 1908, 4)
SOOKE, B.C., summer residence for G. Gillespie, 1910 (C.R., xxiv, 10 Aug. 1910, 26, t.c.)
COOK STREET, residence for Louis York, 1911 (Victoria Heritage Foundation, This Old House: Victoria's Heritage Neighbourhoods, Vol. 4, 2009, 43-5, illus. & descrip.)
SAANICH, B.C., additions and alterations to residence for Mary Goward, Arbutus Road, 1911-12 (Donald Luxton & Jennifer Barr, Saanich Heritage Structures, 2008, 22, illus. & descrip.)
OAK BAY, residence for L.R. Goodacre, St. David Street, 1912 (S. Stark, Oak Bay's Heritage Buildings, 1986, 108, illus.)
SAANICH, B.C., residence for Dr. Valentine Duke, Tattersall Drive, 1912 (Donald Luxton & Jennifer Barr, Saanich Heritage Structures, 2008, 111, illus. & descrip.)
SAANICH, B.C., Tomie Road Public School, Boleskine Road, 1912-13 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 29 Dec. 1912, 19, illus.; 12 Dec. 1913, 8, descrip.; Donald Luxton & Jennifer Barr, Saanich Heritage Structures, 2008, 152, illus. & descrip.)
SAANICH, B.C., Cedar Hill School, Cedar Hill Cross Road, 1912; Manual Training Hall, Cedar Hill Cross Road, 1913 (Donald Luxton & Jennifer Barr, Saanich Heritage Structures, 2008, 99, illus. & descrip.)
DALLAS ROAD, residence for William J. Dobson, 1912 (Victoria Heritage Foundation, This Old House: Victoria's Heritage Neighbourhoods, Vol. 4, 2009, 51-2, illus. & descrip.)
SIMCOE STREET, at Government Street, apartment block for William Dumford & Son, 1912 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 21 June 1912, 3)
PARK MANSIONS, apartments and stores for E. Blaquire, North Park Street at Quadra Street, 1913 (Daily Colonist [Victoria], 19 April 1913, 3; Victoria Heritage Foundation, This Old House: Victoria's Heritage Neighbourhoods, Vol. 3, 2007, 66, illus.)
OAK BAY, residence for John A. Dewar, Currie Road, 1913 (S. Stark, Oak Bay's Heritage Buildings, 1986, 53, illus.)
OAK BAY, residence for Sir F. Ashley Sparks, Windsor Road, 1918 (inf. A.I.B.C.)
KELOWNA, B.C., residence for William E. Adams. Abbott Street, 1922 (inf. Donald Luxton)
KELOWNA, B.C., Fire Hall, Water Street, 1924 (D. Luxton, Building The West: The Early Architects of British Columbia, 2003, 281, illus.)
KELOWNA, B.C., summer hotel for Countess Bubna, 'at the Mission', near Kelowna, 1925 (dwgs. Univ. of Calgary, Canadian Architectural Archives, McCarter Nairne Coll. 30E52)