Daoust, Joseph Eglide Cesaire

DAOUST, Joseph Eglide Cesaire (1881-1946) of Montreal, Que. was born there on 14 March 1881, studied at McGill University, and articled with Louis Z. Gauthier. After joining the P.Q.A.A. on 1 September 1903 he formed a partnership the following year with Gauthier (see list of works under Gauthier & Daoust). Their firm was successful in obtaining many important commissions form Roman Catholic dioceses in Quebec for both church and educational buildings. After their joint practise was dissolved in 1920 Daoust continued to work under his own name for more than twenty years, designing many new churches and schools throughout the province. He also maintained an active interest in the economic and business affairs in Montreal; he served a term as President of the Montreal Chamber of Commerce in 1917-18; this made him the logical choice to design the Chamber's new headquarters in 1925, a scheme prepared in collaboration with Ernest Cormier. Daoust died in Montreal on 5 September 1946 (death notice La Presse [Montreal], 6 Sept. 1946, 28; biog. and port. Biographies Canadiennes Francaises, ii, 1922, 264)

STE. PHILOMENE DE ROSEMONT ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH, Masson Street, foundations and basement, 1922-23; completion of the church, 1932-33 (C.R., xlvi, 18 May 1932, 45; Montreal, Les Eglises, 1981, 190-3, illus.)
SOEURS DE LA MISERICORDE ROMAN CATHOLIC CONVENT, major addition of the St. Hubert Annex, St. Hubert Street at Dorchester Boulevard East, 1923-24 (C.R., xxxvii, 31 Oct. 1923, 49; Montreal, Les Couvents, 1984, 88-93, illus.)
(with M. Roisin and L.N. Audet) ST. ANNE DE BEAUPRE, QUE., Roman Catholic Basilica, 1923-31; completed 1946 (Const., xvi, May 1923, 182-4, illus. & descrip.; R.A.I.C. Journal, xviii, April 1941, 63, illus.)
(with Ernest Cormier) CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, St. James Street East at St. Gabriel Street, 1925; demol. 1964 (C.R., xxxix, 29 April 1925, 51)
(with Roland Simard) MONTREAL MATERNITY HOSPITAL, Prince Arthur Street, addition of the David Pavilion, 1925 (Montreal, Les Edifices Publics, 1981, 166-9, illus.)
OUTREMONT, duplex for Alderic Cousineau, Querbes Avenue, 1925 (Outremont b.p. 1874, 19 Feb. 1925)
OUTREMONT, duplex for J. and E. Cousineau, Querbes Avenue, 1925 (Outremont b.p. 1877, 13 March 1925)
OUTREMONT, houses for Syndor Leveille, Bloomfield Avenue, 1926 (Outremont b.o. 2068, 19 May 1926)
ARCHAMBAULT APARTMENTS, St. Denis Street at Marie-Anne Street East, 1931 (Montreal, Les Appartements, 1991, 315-16)
ST. BARTHELEMY ROMAN CATHOLIC SCHOOL, Des Erables Street near Jean Talon Street, 1931 (C.R., xlv, 9 Sept. 1931, 55)
SOCIETE ARTISANS CANADIENS FRANCAIS, St. Denis Street at Marie-Anne Street, office building, 1932 (C.R., xlvi, 13 Jan. 1932, 46)
ST. PHILOMENE DE ROSEMONT ROMAN CATHOLIC BOYS SCHOOL, 6th Avenue, 1932 (C.R., xlvi, 23 March 1932, 49)
DUVERNAY ROMAN CATHOLIC SCHOOL, St. Jerome Street near 7th Avenue, 1933 (C.R., xlvii, 11 Jan. 1933, 35)
ST. JACQUES LE MINEUR ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH, St. Denis Street, rebuilding of the church, 1933 (C.R., xlvii, 4 Oct. 1933, 34)
ST. ANDRE EAST, QUE., Post Office, Main Street, 1938 (G. Utas, Summary Classification of Heritage Buildings, 1982, 58)