Cunningham, John

CUNNINGHAM, John (1792-1872)
(biography in preparation)

SAINT JOHN

COBOURG STREET, residence for Charles J. Peters, Cobourg Street, 1819 (retrospective article in Saint John Globe, 28 Jan. 1920, 2; L. Maitland, Neoclassical Architecture in Canada, 1984, 41; inf. John R.W. Disher, Saint John)
GILBERT'S LANE, residence for Henry Gilbert, 1822 (G. Hughes, Music of the Eye: Architectural Drawings of Canada's First City 1822-1914, 1991, 3-5, illus. & descrip.; dwgs. at New Brunswick Museum)
ST. JOHN'S ANGLICAN CHURCH, (The Stone Church), Carleton Street at Wellington Row, addition of bell tower and spires to church designed by Lloyd Johnston, 1826 (E. Ward, The Story of Stone Church 1825-1975, 2-3, illus.; M. Brosseau, Gothic Revival in Canadian Architecture, 1980, 40-1, illus.)
SAINT JOHN COUNTY COURT HOUSE, Sydney Street, 1826-29 (Daily Telegraph [Saint John], 15 Jan. 1876, illus. & descrip.; L. Maitland, Neoclassical Architecture in Canada, 1984, 41, illus.; G. Hughes, Music of the Eye: Architectural Drawings of Canada's First City 1822-1914, 1991, 5-7, illus. & descrip.)
MARKET HALL, Market Square, 1837; demol. (New Brunswick Courier [Saint John], 18 Feb. 1837, descrip. and specification, but lacking attribution; G. Hughes, Music of the Eye: Architectural Drawings of Canada's First City 1822-1914, 1991, 8-9, illus. & descrip.; dwgs. at PANB, MC90)
unnamed street, major additions and alterations to residence for James Kirk, 1838 (dwgs. at New Brunswick Museum)
CENTENARY WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH, St. George Street, 1838-39; burned 1877 (New Brunswick Courier [Saint John], 21 July 1838, 2, descrip.; G. Henderson, Early Saint John Methodism, 1890, 47, 55, illus.)
COMMERCIAL BANK, Prince William Street at Princess Street, 1838; burned 1877 (retrospective article in Daily News [Saint John], 21 Jan. 1878, 3, descrip.)
CARLETON WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH, Guilford Street at Ludlow Street, c. 1840; demol. 1978 (G. Hughes, Music of the Eye: Architectural Drawings of Canada's First City 1822-1914, 1991, 10-11, illus.& descrip.; dwgs. at Carleton Kirk United Church)
WATSON STREET, residence for George Harding, c. 1840 (M. Brosseau, Gothic Revival in Canadian Architecture, 1980, 60-1, illus.)
FIRE HALL NO. 2, Sydney Street, 1840 (inf. Dana Johnson, Ottawa)
COUNTY GAOL, King Street East, 1840-41 (dwgs. at PANB)
CUSTOM HOUSE, Prince William Street, 1841; burned 1877 (G. Hughes, Music of the Eye: Architectural Drawings of Canada's First City 1822-1914, 1991, 11-12, illus. & descrip.; dwgs. at PANB)
QUEEN SQUARE, landscaping plan, 1844 (G. Hughes, Music of the Eye: Architectural Drawings of Canada's First City 1822-1914, 1991, 16-18, illus. & descrip.; dwgs. at New Brunswick Museum)
CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, Union Street, 1844-45 (Morning News [Saint John], 2 April 1845, 2, descrip. but lacking attribution; G. Hughes, Music of the Eye: Architectural Drawings of Canada's First City 1822-1914, 1991, 12-16, illus. & descrip.; dwgs. at New Brunswick Museum)
PARK STREET, at Hawthorne Avenue, residence for James Harding, 1857 ( G. Hughes, Music of the Eye: Architectural Drawings of Canada's First City 1822-1914, 1991, 18-20, illus. & descrip.; dwgs. at New Brunswick Museum)

ELSEWHERE

ST. ANDREW'S, N.B., Charlotte County Gaol, 1834 (Charlotte Co. Historical Society, records of building accounts, payment of £5 to John Cunningham for a plan of Gaol; dwgs. at PANB, MC90)
GRAND MANAN ISLAND, N.B., Chapel of Ease, 1836 (New Brunswick Museum, Ward Chipman Papers, letter of 2 Jan. 1836)
GAGETOWN, N.B., Queen's County Court House, Queen Street, 1836 (M. Carter, Early Canadian Court Houses, 1983, 207, illus., but lacking attribution; J. Leroux, Building New Brunswick: An Architectural History, 2008, 59-60, illus.)
DIGBY, N.S., residence for Zalmon Wheeler, 1840 (dwgs. at New Brunswick Museum)
GANNET ROCK, N.B., lighthouse, 1845 (L. Maitland, Neoclassical Architecture in Canada, 1984, 41)
BROWN HILL, N.B., Presbyterian Church for the parish of Simonds, near Ten Mile Creek, 1846-47 (New Brunswick Courier [Saint John], 12 Dec. 1846, 2, t.c.)
PARTRIDGE ISLAND, N.B., Fever Hospital, superintendent's house, office and store, 1848 (New Brunswick, Journals of the House of Assembly, 18 Feb. 1848, 153; dwgs. at New Brunswick Museum)
CHELSEA, MASS., Methodist Episcopal Church, Walnut Street at 4th Street, c. 1860 (inf. Chelsea Public Library; dwgs. at New Brunswick Museum)
BRIGHTON, MASS., subdivision plan of the Parkman Farm into eighty-two building lots, 1863 (dwgs. at Boston Public Library)
CHELSEA, MASS., block of six houses for Isaac Stebbins, 1864 (dwgs. at Boston Public Library)