Weeks, Arthur Le B.

WEEKS, Arthur LeBaron (1881-1962), a native of Saint John, New Brunswick, received his primary education there and later moved to Boston where he trained in several offices including that of Shepley, Ruttan & Coolidge (successors to Henry Hobson Richardson, who died in 1886). While working in that office, he met another young architect Ernest M. Machado, with whom he was to later form a partnership in Ottawa, Ont. Weeks was active in the following firms in Ottawa:
Machado & Weeks April -Sept. 1907
Weeks & Keefer 1908 - 1910
A. LeB. Weeks 1911-1913
Weeks & Burgess 1914

In April 1907, at the suggestion of Ernest Machado, a frequent visitor to the Ottawa area, they formed a partnership in April 1907, but their association ended abruptly in September of that year with the sudden death of Machado. Weeks then opened an office in partnership with Alan Keefer, and proved himself to be a talented and capable architect in his own right; together they obtained major commissions for commercial and institutional projects. Their best known work was the Rosenthal Building (1910), a six storey office block, and one of the first to employ a reinforced concrete structural frame and a cladding system of terra cotta.

Weeks worked under his own name in 1911-13, then formed another partnership with Cecil Burgess, who was formerly employed as an assistant in the office of Weeks & Keefer. Their association lasted only one year, and was terminated at the end of 1914. No information can be found on the activity of Weeks from 1915 to 1918. He left Canada and moved to Detroit in 1919 where he continued to work as an architect. By 1940, he had moved to Florida. He joined the American Institute of Architects in 1944 and remained as a member until 1954. He was also listed as a practising architect at Lake Worth, Florida (Florida Association of Architects Bulletin, viii, Sept. 1946). Weeks later died at Palm Beach, Fla. in April 1962.

WEEKS & KEEFER

(works in Ottawa unless noted)

ST. PATRICK'S ROMAN CATHOLIC SCHOOLS, Nepean Street, major addition, 1908 (C.R., xxii, 19 Aug. 1908, 25, t.c.)
BANK OF MONTREAL, Bank Street at Somerset Street, 1908-09 (The First Half Century of Ottawa, 1910, 58, illus.; Ottawa: A Guide to Heritage Structures, 2000, 79, illus.)
ASHBURY COLLEGE, Mariposa Avenue, in Rockcliffe Park, 1909 (C.R., xxiii, 17 Feb. 1909, 20, t.c.; Martha Edmond, Rockcliffe Park - A History of the Village, 2005, 220-23, illus.)
MORRISBURG, ONT., Molson's Bank, 1909 (C.R., xxiii, 21 April 1909, 22)
TUBERCULOSIS HOSPITAL, Merivale Road, 1909 (C.R., xxiii, 28 April 1909, 19, t.c.; Evening Journal [Ottawa], 15 Feb. 1910, 1, illus.; 16 Feb. 1910, 3, descrip.)
FIRE HALL NO. 5, Water Street at King Edward Avenue, 1909-10 (C.R., xxiii, 22 Dec. 1909, 22)
CANADA LIFE ASSURANCE CO., Sparks Street, 1909-10 (Evening Journal [Ottawa], 23 June 1910, 2, illus. & descrip.; Const., vi, May 1913, 173, 176-7, illus. & descrip.)
RENFREW, ONT., residence for J.A. Allan, 1910 (C.R., xxiv, 13 April 1910, 28, t.c.)
FIRE HALL NO. 4, Cumberland Street, 1910 (C.R., xxiv, 3 August 1910, 24, t.c.)
ROSENTHAL BUILDING, Sparks Street, 1910 (C.R., xxiv, 27 April 1910, 40, illus. & descrip.; xxv, 10 May 1911, 35, illus. & descrip.; Const., iv, March 1911, 60, illus.; Evening Journal [Ottawa], 28 March 1910, 12, illus. & descrip.; 24 June 1911, 17, illus. & descrip.)
RIDEAU STREET, at Little Sussex Street, stores for Dr. J.E. Taggart, 1910 (C.R., xxiv, 10 Aug. 1910, 27)
CLEMOW AVENUE, residence for Dr. J. Eugene Taggart, 1910 (C.R., xxiv, 24 Aug. 1910, 25)
CASINO THEATRE, Sussex Street at Besserer Street, 1910 (C.R., xxiv, 21 Sept. 1910, 27)
BIRKS BUILDING, Sparks Street, 1910 (Const., vi, May 1913, 172-5, illus. & descrip.)
OTTAWA HUNT CLUB, on the Rideau River, 1910 (Const., vi, May 1913, 180-81, illus. & descrip.)
HULL, QUE., Rivermead Golf Club House, Aylmer Road overlooking the Ottawa River, 1910-11 (Evening Journal [Ottawa], 1 Oct. 1910, 1 & 16, illus. & descrip.)

A. Le B. WEEKS

ACACIA AVENUE, residence for Wilson M. Southam, Rockcliffe Park, 1911 (C.R., xxv, 22 March 1911, 55)
CORNWALL, ONT., County House of Industry and Refuge, 1911 (C.R., xxv, 12 April 1911, 53, t.c.)
FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, Florence Street at Kent Street, 1911-12 (Evening Citizen [Ottawa], 4 April 1911, 1, illus. & descrip.; C.R., xxv, 28 June 1911, 57; Evening Journal [Ottawa], 7 Dec. 1912, 20, illus.)
JOHN M. GARLAND & SONS, Queen Street at O'Connor Street, major addition for a warehouse, 1911 (C.R., xxv, 17 May 1911, 61, t.c.)
CLEMOW AVENUE, residence for John Angus McKenzie, 1911 (C.R., xxv, 28 June 1911, 58, t.c.)
McLEOD STREET, at Metcalfe Street, apartments for Ormond Higman, 1911 (C.R., xxv, 13 Sept. 1911, 59)
LAURENTIAN CLUB, Albert Street at Elgin Street, 1912-13 (C.R., xxiv, 14 Feb. 1912, 62; Ottawa Journal, 26 May 1913, 10, illus. & descrip.)
GLOUCESTER STREET, apartment block for Edward R. McNeill, 1912 (C.R., xxiv, 27 March 1912, 68; Evening Journal [Ottawa], 19 Sept. 1912, 11, illus.)
WYLIE LTD., Slater Street, garage, 1912 (C.R., xxiv, 3 April 1912, 68)
AGUDATH ACHIM JEWISH SYNAGOGUE, Rideau Street, 1912 (Evening Journal [Ottawa], 29 June 1912, 1, illus.)
ELGIN STREET, apartment block for Samuel Caplan, 1913 (C.R., xxvii, 4 June 1913, 71)
BRYSON BUILDING, Queen Street, stores and offices for Charles Bryson Realty Co., 1913 (Ottawa Journal, 20 Sept. 1913, 17, illus.; C.R., xxvii, 3 Sept. 1913, 75)
OTTAWA JOURNAL BUILDING, Queen Street near Bank Street, 1913-14 (C.R., xxvii, 23 April 1913, 72; Ottawa Journal, Greater Ottawa Edition, 28 April 1914, Section Two, 4-5, illus. & descrip.)

WEEKS & BURGESS

SOMERSET STREET, stores and apartments for John Fixter, 1914 (C.R., xxviii, 17 June 1914, 74)