Burgess, Cecil

BURGESS, Cecil (1888-1956) was active in Ottawa, Ont. for more than fifty years where he was partner in a succession of firms from 1910 onward. Born in Walkden, Lancashire, Engl. on 8 July 1888 he was educated there and articled to Henry Kirkby, an architect in Manchester. In 1905 he was brought to Canada by his parents and resided in Ottawa from 1908 where he was assistant in the firm of Weeks & Keefer. After the dissolution of that firm in 1910 Burgess worked briefly on his own, then formed a partnership with Arthur L.B. Weeks in 1914 (see list of works under Weeks & Burgess). Their collaboration was short-lived; within a year Burgess had joined Richard H. Millson in a partnership lasting ten years (see list works under Millson & Burgess). From 1927 Burgess maintained an office under his own name, working with an associate Edwin A. Gardner, with whom he was in partnership from 1934 until 1942. During WWII he closed his office and moved to Nova Scotia to oversee the construction of eighty buildings for the HMCS Cornwallis Naval Base. He later returned to Ottawa and continued to practise under his own name, and, after 1950, in partnership with J. Malcolm McLean. Burgess had a lifelong interest in the Gothic Revival movement, a passion best seen in his fastidious and scholarly design for St. Matthew's Anglican Church, Chapel and Parish Hall in Ottawa (1929), where the entire complex of three interconnected buildings was clad entirely in Indiana limestone. Earlier, in 1921 he had employed this style with great effect in his competition entry for the Canadian Battlefields Memorial. His dignified scheme for a stone tower in the Gothic style was selected as one of several finalists (Const., xiv, June 1921, 168, illus.), but the project was eventually awarded to F.C. Clemesha and W.S. Allward. Burgess died in Ottawa on 19 July 1956 (obit. Ottawa Journal, 19 July 1956, 1 & 2; Ottawa Citizen, 19 July 1956, 7; inf. Ontario Assoc. of Architects). The National Archives of Canada holds a large collection of drawings for more than 250 projects executed by Burgess and the various firms in which he practised from 1910 until 1962 including: Burgess & Co. 1910
Weeks & Burgess 1914
Millson & Burgess 1915-1922
Millson, Burgess & Hazelgrove 1923-24
Millson & Burgess 1925-26
C. Burgess 1927-33
Burgess & Gardner 1934-42
C. Burgess 1945-51
(dwgs at NAC, National Map Collection, McLean & MacPhayden Coll., Acc. 86703/9)


(works in Ottawa unless noted)

UNITED BROTHERS JEWISH SYNAGOGUE, Rideau Street near Chapel Street, 1912; demol. c. 1960 (H. Hadaya, 'The First Synagogues of Ottawa', in Society for the Study of Architecture Bulletin, xix, Sept. 1994, 79-80, illus. & descrip.; dwgs. at NAC, National Map Coll., 80103/62)
(with Burritt & Hazelgrove) LANSDOWNE PARK, Howick Hall (later The Coliseum), Exhibition Grounds, Bank Street at Holmwood Avenue, 1926 (dwgs. City of Ottawa Archives; dwgs. NAC, Lithwick Coll.; inf. Jean-Claude Dube, Ottawa)
CLEMOW AVENUE, residence for Frank H. Plant, 1927 (Daily Commercial News [Toronto], 9 June 1927, 5)
PERTH, ONT., St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, 1927-28 (C.R., xli, 15 June 1927, 612, illus.)
PEMBROKE, ONT., Presbyterian Church, Pembroke Street at Henry Street, 1928 (C.R., xlii, 23 May 1928, 43)
PALACE COURT APARTMENTS, Elgin Street at McLeod Street, for S. Miller, 1927-28 (C.R., xli, 7 Dec. 1927, 50, t.c.)
ELMDALE SCHOOL, Iona Street, 1928 (C.R., xlii, 12 Sept. 1928, 52)
ST. MATTHEWS ANGLICAN CHURCH, First Avenue at Bank Street, 1929 (C.R., xliii, 1 May 1929, 68; St. Matthew's Parish Golden Anniversary 1898-1948, 5, 8-9, illus.)
CLEMOW AVENUE, residence for W.H. Dwyer, 1929 (C.R., xliii, 6 Feb. 1929, 54)
WINDSOR ARMS APARTMENTS, Argyle Avenue at Metcalfe Street, for Stuart Christie, 1929 (C.R., xliii, 13 Feb. 1929, 57, t.c.)
MARIPOSA ROAD, at Manor Avenue, residence for E. Keith Davidson, 1929 (C.R., xliii, 3 July 1929, 65)
PERTH, ONT., major alterations to the Balderson Theatre, 1930 (C.R., xliv, 25 June 1930, 74)
DUNCANNON APARTMENTS, Metcalfe Street, 1931 (Ottawa: A Guide to Heritage Structures, 2000, 78, illus.)
TRAFALGAR APARTMENTS, Metcalfe Street at Gladstone Avenue, for Wolf Shenkman, 1931 (C.R., xliv, 31 Dec. 1930, 245)
VAL CARTIER APARTMENTS, Cartier Street at Somerset Street West, 1931 (C.R., xlv, 1 April 1931, 60)
DOMINION HOUSE FURNITURE CO., Bank Street at Gloucester Street, retail store, 1933 (C.R., xlvii, 17 May 1933, 34, t.c.)
RANGE ROAD, residence for Dr. Joseph P. Gilhooly, 1933-34 (C.R., xlvii, 8 Nov. 1933, 35)


POSTAL TERMINAL BUILDING, Besserer Street, 1935-36 (C.R., xlix, 13 March 1935, 219, illus.; R.A.I.C. Journal, xviii, June 1941, 99, illus.)
ROCKCLIFFE PARK, residence for Keith Davidson, 1936 (C.H.G., xiii, June-July 1936, 34, illus.)
ARNPRIOR, ONT., two residences for unidentified clients, 1937 (C.H.G., xiv, July-Aug. 1937, 30, illus.)


DEEP BROOK, N.S., Cornwallis Naval Base, 1942-44 (list of works in the Ottawa Journal, 19 July 1956, 1 and 2)
SHERWOOD DRIVE, residence for Col. Edward R. McNeill, 1942 (C.H.G., xx, March-April 1943, 18-19, illus.)
WINCHESTER, ONT., General Hospital, 1947 (C.R., lx, Aug. 1947, 260)
HOLY TRINITY ANGLICAN CHURCH, Bank Street at Cameron Avenue, reconstruction of the church, 1947-48 (C.R., lx, Oct. 1947, 188; N. Frerichs, History of Trinity Church Ottawa 1876-1956, 14)
CORNWALL, ONT., addition to public school, S.S. No. 2, 1947 (C.R., lx, Nov. 1947, 142)
PARKDALE UNITED CHURCH, Parkdale Avenue at Gladstone Avenue, major addition, 1949 (C.R., lxii, Aug. 1949, 221)
HULL, QUE., South Hull Protestant School, 1949 (C.R., lxii, Nov. 1949, 121, t.c.)
ST. PETER'S LUTHERAN CHURCH, Lyon Street at Nepean Street, 1950 (C.R., lxiii, Feb. 1950, 126)
MANOR PARK PUBLIC SCHOOL, Braemar Street, 1950 (C.R., lxiii, Feb. 1950, 128)
PERTH, ONT., public school, 1950 (C.R., lxiii, April 1950, 124)
SHAWVILLE, QUE., High School, 1950 (C.R., lxiii, April 1950, 124)
MINTO SKATING CLUB RINK, Henderson Avenue, rebuilding of the rink, 1950 (C.R., lxiii, April 1950, 130, t.c.)
ARNPRIOR, ONT., major addition to High School, 1950 (C.R., lxiii, May 1950, 142)
CAMPBELLTON, N.B., War Memorial Rink, 1950 (C.R., lxiii, June 1950, 125)